Panchakarma: Ayurveda’s most powerful therapy to address the roots of disease and chronic conditions
Panchakarma is a three-fold cleansing and rejuvenation process to remove toxins and imbalance – seen as the roots of illness and disease in Ayurveda – in order to rebalance the bodymind system and restore optimal health. The objective of this cleansing and rejuvenation process is to treat disease, maintain health and prepare for rebuild the body’s optimal vitality.
What To Expect With Panchakarma
Unlike many of the cleansing programs offered today, Ayurveda contains a specific and complete three-fold detoxification and rejuvenation process. The total timing of phase one and two is eight days. Phase three can continue another three to ten days depending on your needs.
- Phase One is the intial stage where the body is prepared to release the toxins and imbalances from the deeper tissues of the body for elimination via the digestive system. During this time you will eat a special light diet and use internal/external oiling procedures and sweat therapies to liquefy the toxins. By eating lightly there is extra space in the digestive system and this emptiness draws the ama back towards it for release.
- Phase Two is the main stage of elimination. The purpose is to remove the ama and excess metabolic imbalances from the digestive system once the toxins have been pulled into the gastrointestinal tract.
- Phase Three is a period of rejuvenation when the body is rebuilt, the digestive system re-awakened and the immune system supported. This is the time to recalibrate and nourish healthier habits, some of which were started during the preparatory phase. This is a critical phase when it is important to slowly add foods back into the diet in order to prevent accumulation of ama and can often feel challenging to clients. As such, there is an additional check-in consultation build into the process here at Ayurveda Wellness to support your balanced re-integration.
Appointments are available throughout the year and have evening and weekend options. Optimal times for cleansing are at the change of seasons but it is most important to find a time that fits your life.
While a complete pause from daily life and work is ideal to cleanse your body and mind, we recognize that it is not always possible to take a complete re-treat from life to nourish yourself. To support your cleansing process in balance with your regular obligations, there are two possibilities for Panchakarma. For both, it is recommended that you “lighten” your load in terms of activities and commitment. Especially for the Ultimate Panchakarma, it will be important for the final four days to coordinate your schedule for quality rest time.
Starter Panchakarma $499
This lighter version provides a wonderful opportunity for those new to the process or looking for a affordable and easy way to reset your system. You will enjoy the healing benefits of strengthening the digestive system and metabolic functioning, eliminating toxins which contribute to many of your uncomfortable symptoms, improve your mental functioning, energy, and mental outlook; and support weight loss. Program includes:
- 75-minute initial consultation to assess your unique needs, get instructions for guided 8 day cleanse, and discuss optional therapies
- 1 – 20 minute check-in during the process
- 3 – 60 minute Abhyanga warm oil massages with hot towel compresses
- 1 herbal paste treatment, Shirodhara mind treatment, or topical oil treatment for the heart, adrenals, low back, abdomen, or throat
- Cleansing herbs
Ultimate Panchakarma $949 and up
When you are ready to commit to a thorough cleansing and rejuvenation, the traditional format with expanded body therapies, internal oleation for deeper removal of toxins, and supporting rejuvenation therapies for the large intestine is the program for you. In addition to the benefits in the starter panchakarma, this version roots out toxins at a deeper level, addressing the foundational causes of chronic health conditions and disease. In addition to providing symptomatic relief, this ancient therapy supports deep healing of your inner environment to support the return to optimal health. Program includes:
- 90-minute initial consultation to assess your unique needs, get instructions for guided 8 day cleanse, and discuss individualized therapies suited to your needs
- Three 20-minute check-ins including one in the critical rejuvenation stage
- Three body therapy days including 2 hours of classical Ayurveda body therapies including Abhyanga, Shirodhara, 5 sense treatments such as Nasya, Netra Tarpana and Karuna; body Bastis, Lepas, exfoliation massage, and Urdvartana.
- Cleansing herbs
- Herbalized ghee or oil for internal oleation
- Castor oil
- Three herbalized enemas to support the revitalization of the large intestine