And there’s very few that I don’t like so you would think it would be a breeze to incorporate them into my daily menus. To a certain degree, you’re right.
But I get tired of the same tastes and am always looking for new flavorings, especially for my family and picky son!
This week I tried this simple vegetable mix, lightly spiced, with just enough flavor to enhance the natural tastes of the vegetables but lift it up from mundane to yummy.
- 1 bunch broccoli florets, trimmed and cut into smallish pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red pepper, large diced
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2 rounds
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Warm oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add crushed red pepper, broccoli and red pepper; sauté for about 5 minutes. Add in the zucchini and cook for another minute. Add in the asparagus and peas, cooking for another 3 minutes or until all vegetables are soft to your taste.
Remove pan from heat and stir in butter, salt, pepper, parsley and chives. Serve immediately.
©2012 Jamie Durner, Ayurvedic Natural Health Practitioner